Subject: Re: PIC12C508A-based remote - some remarks
From: Tjerk Schuringa (regenpak_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2002-12-27

Another suggestion for an eight pin MCU could be Atmel's AVR12. Advantage of
this thingie: EEPROM programmable, open drain output pin (that the '508 lacks
and which I found essential in the 16LF84). The internal oscillator (1.2 MHz
LoPo version) is much more accurate, only a few percent which the Archos UART
won't object to. The '508 would be questionable, if we're lucky it's just
within Archos' limits. Other than that it's pretty much the same with regard to
power consumption, only it will work down to 1.8 V. Also the commands are more
like 8051, which will make programmers rejoice :-)

About the questions:
1. I don't think REW and FF do more than one command on the original remote.
Repeat operation is simply not implemented.
2. Other functions don't seem to be available. Maybe there's something in the
archive on this, I haven't checked.

A propos battery life: my 16LF84 based contraption still works after a year. I
use it occasionally. The battery seems at its end of life though: even if it
tests OK (3.1 V or something) the remote stopped working after heavy use
recently. As I didn't have a multimeter handy (rode the train when that
happened) I don't know why. I'll try to investigate (yeah, right). In any case
it seems to be much better than Archos' remote!

Tjerk

.