Subject: recording bug reverses left<>right channels

recording bug reverses left<>right channels

From: Sylvan Butler <sylvan_at_sdb.cx>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 18:26:22 -0700

I usually read this group via gmane... We'll see if this comes thru!

It appears that the recording as currently implemented reverses
channels left for right and right for left when using analog LineIn.

I have a JBR20 with 1.28 in ROM and have tried several daily builds
of Rockbox up to 21dec (CVS had logged no changes since then). This
can be detected and reproduced by anyone using just the JBR, factory
supplied earphones (or a couple of other pair I tried) and Rockbox.

Set up to record from LineIn.

Plug headphones into LineIn jack.

Set record level to max. (You should notice meter movement when
speaking loudly, directly into earphone earpiece.)

Start recording.

Speak directly into each earpiece individually (eg "Left, left, left"
into the left earpiece, then "Right, right, right" into right
earpiece).

Stop and save recording.

Plug earphones into earphone jack.

Listen to recording.

If you record with the factory firmware, the recording of speaking
into the left earpiece will play to your left ear, and right to
right. Using Rockbox, the result is reversed.

Playback firmware makes no difference.

(I did find one pair of headphones that was wired in reverse. This
caused the bug to appear as if it in the factory firmware. The
defect is definitely in Rockbox and that one pair of phones,
according to trusted test disks.)

sdb