Subject: Have I fried my 10G Recorder?

Have I fried my 10G Recorder?

From: ajf <ajf_at_midmaine.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:37:19 -0500

First, thank you all for making the Archos Recorder much more than a toy.

Second, apology in advance if this is off topic...

My recorder has stopped recording from line in or digital. The built in mic
still works. Here are the symptoms:

When I attempt to record using either RB or Archos 1.27d firmware, one of
the two level meters responds to the volume of the signal in. The other
remains stationary at about 90% of the maximum reading. In RB it's the top
meter that remains stationary. In Archos 1.27d it's the bottom one.

This happens on both analog and digital source. The meter remains pinned,
whether or not there is a signal applied, whether or not there is a cable
plugged in. It happens at all the settings of quality and sampling rate
that I have tried, and yes, the recording is set to Stereo.

The recording proceeds as normal, except on playback, there is nothing
audible. With the internal mic as source, everything works as well as it
ever did. Playbacks of previously recorded material are fine, as are
playbacks of material transferred via USB.

I've made hundreds of successful recordings before with the same setup,
either from a line out source, or from an external amplied microphone.
The last audible recording that I made was from a PC, playing some Real
Audio and recording through the headphone jack. It was a stereo recording,
but only one channel was audible.

Any ideas? I'm going to call Archos tech support, but I'd like to have the
benefit of your collective wisdom first.

Cheers,

Allen Friedman