Subject: Re: > 32 GB?

Re: > 32 GB?

From: Sylvan Butler <rockbox_at_sdb.cx>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 23:46:17 -0700

On Monday 30 Dec 2002, Mike Payson <mpayson_at_dawgdayz.com> wrote:
>On Monday 30 December 2002 11:53 am, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, Stuart Tedford wrote:
>> But note that the ATA spec is not that good. I *believe* you won't
>> to use a disk larger than roughly 138GB in your Archos due to

>I don't believe that's an ATA issue, but a BIOS issue. Most older

Nope. It is an ATA issue. On PC's it affects the BIOS so a new BIOS
can implement the new ATA spec, but on the JB it is an issue for the
ISD200 or ISD300 chipset. New chips, anyone?

The issue is that the previous version of the ATA spec defined a
28bit address to select logical blocks (the LBA). 2^28 blocks is
128GB (which rounds up to 13x gb when using powers of 10).

The most recent version of the spec defines a 48bit address, but from
what I've read, that isn't supported by the ISD chips.

sdb