Subject: RAM enhancement - the delayed story
From: Matthias Wächter (matthias_at_waechter.wiz.at)
Date: 2002-12-30

Hi to everyone!

A couple of months ago I updated my AJB6k from a 2MB DRAM chip to a 8MB
DRAM chip. I had to do some special soldering - first unsolder the old
chip, the solder the new chip, then add some special wires. After the
hardware mod was done, the first power-up showed that _everything_worked_!
I thought, hey, what an _easy_ project! :-) Of course, updating Rockbox to
recognize the four-times-as-large RAM was an easy trick and it showed that
this _can_ be done.

But a couple of weeks ago, finally owning a digital camera, when I wanted
to document everything, after re-assembling the unit I had a loose contact
making the device as fragile as chinaware. After one further attempt of
re-assembling last week, the unit is not functioning any more :-( It seems
I have to transfer my dead archos bones to the professional soldering
station in my company again to re-solder the RAM and the fine wires.
Appearantly I used too few tin-solder and the contacts slightly broke
already at the first mounting back in September. Let's see when I will
have the time to do this.

I just wanted to share this information with you (and all the interested
people around waiting for my finished documentation on my efforts). I hope
that I did not destroy the large RAM chip yet.

Sehr Wus,
- Matthias

--
                    "To get control over people, make them trust you.
                                            To make people trust you