Subject: Grayscale Display/ Picture Viewer/ HDD Upgrade
Date: 2003-01-01

Hi folks!
rockboxx kicks ass ! It is a joy just spent hours on reading in the mailing
list archive ! :)

I have some idea regarding the AJB20Recorder LCD Display.
Is it possible to "drive" the pixels of the display with some sort of
signal, that
we can "emulate" shades of grey?

I did some research on the net - in gerneral, such thing seems possible with
b/w LCDs:

>Some versions of PalmOS supports greyscale on mono LCD:s. I think this done
>by toggling b/w at different frequencies to get different shades of grey.
>(And / or some puls modulating)
>This requires that the LCD is a bit slow, just like on the STacy.
>On the palm, this looks great btw. You can't see the flashing at all.
>Now, the problem is that I don't have a STacy, so I can't try this. But I
>thought it would be a cool thing to do, perhaps by making a STacy-Greyscale
>driver for fVDI or something..

>I have a mono 640x480 LCD (an Epson ECM-A0557 if it matters, concise
>bits per pixel, whilst the LCD only takes one. In the past, 4 bits per
>greyscale was achieved using an ASIC that flashed pixels at a mark/space
>ratio proportional to the brightness of the input pixel. However this ASIC

Could such method work with rockbox`s LCD ?
If we can do such greyscale emulation, we could have picture viewer & more
in Rockbox !?
<Mad Geek Mode On>
If s.o. would make some hardware mod that we can plug Compact Flash Adapter
and "transfer Pics from CF to HDD..." ..... we could even browse pics with JB
BTW: AJB`s IDE interface would support 2.nd device (slave) - am I right ?
</Mad Geek Mode Off>

Upgraded my AJB20R with toshiba 60GB HDD (Model MK6021GAS HDD2183 C) some
days ago. Seems to work very fine - so far.

+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more +++