Subject: Re: Shrinking FAT<x> filesystems, fdisk like activity with data on the disk

Re: Shrinking FAT<x> filesystems, fdisk like activity with data on the disk

From: <for_spam_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 03:26:15 +0100 (MET)

HI George,

there are some free tools out there for doing this job:
Keep in mind - there is NO guarantee, that you won`t loose your data -
backup is always highly recommended.

First really important step is to completely defragment your drive,
so that there is no data above the "split position".

- Commercial programs like Partition Magic (http://www.powerquest.com) do
splitting most cleanly and secure. an older version was on several german
computer magazines some time ago - for just some bucks. Maybe you can order
one
past issue - i could look out, which issues/magazines that have been.
Other good one is paragon partition manager
http://www.partition-manager.com/n_pm_main.htm

- One free tool i can remember and i used it a long time ago is fips - at
http://www.igd.fhg.de/~aschaefe/fips/ don`t know if it still is actual usable
for bigger drives, but it always worked good for me.

- Another free tool is gnu parted: http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/
  it can resize fat32 - but i don`t know how good it works regarding
resizing fat32

- Suse And Mandrake Linux have fat32 Partition resizer builtin into the
installer
menu. maybe this is usable ? (perhaps exit installation before formatting)

- In the past i also made good experience with ranish partition manager
(free)
  at http://www.ranish.com/part/

Since some of the tools (fips/ranish?) are dos based it could be somewhat
problematic
to access the archos hdd via usb, if you don`t have winbloze 98/ME :)
Maybe you will need to disassemble the drive and plug it to an ide interface
via 2.5" Adaptor. Then you can use ALL of the tools available without
problems

regards
Roland