Subject: Re: Shrinking FAT<x> filesystems, fdisk like activity with data on the disk
Date: 2003-01-03

HI George,

there are some free tools out there for doing this job:
Keep in mind - there is NO guarantee, that you won`t loose your data -
backup is always highly recommended.

First really important step is to completely defragment your drive,
so that there is no data above the "split position".

- Commercial programs like Partition Magic ( do
splitting most cleanly and secure. an older version was on several german
computer magazines some time ago - for just some bucks. Maybe you can order
past issue - i could look out, which issues/magazines that have been.
Other good one is paragon partition manager

- One free tool i can remember and i used it a long time ago is fips - at don`t know if it still is actual usable
for bigger drives, but it always worked good for me.

- Another free tool is gnu parted:
  it can resize fat32 - but i don`t know how good it works regarding
resizing fat32

- Suse And Mandrake Linux have fat32 Partition resizer builtin into the
menu. maybe this is usable ? (perhaps exit installation before formatting)

- In the past i also made good experience with ranish partition manager

Since some of the tools (fips/ranish?) are dos based it could be somewhat
to access the archos hdd via usb, if you don`t have winbloze 98/ME :)
Maybe you will need to disassemble the drive and plug it to an ide interface
via 2.5" Adaptor. Then you can use ALL of the tools available without

> I want to play with re-partitioning my rockbox into a main and a smaller
> chunk, to use the smaller one as a UNIX backup location.
> Have other people done this? with 12+Gb of MP3s I'm reluctant to go before
> checking the various free and non-free disk partition managers work ok,
> and
> don't cost the hours of downloading already done!
> cheers
> -George

+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more +++