Subject: Re: Archos Multimedia detailed hardware information

Re: Archos Multimedia detailed hardware information

From: Christophe Avoinne <christophe.avoinne_at_laposte.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 02:02:15 +0100

First, despite that RidgeRun uses Linux, you must pay it to use it (because
of non-linux specifical parts if I remember well).

Second, Archos wouldn't use sold third-party softwares in their product
since they don't want to loose control on software (it is their motto to
have no cost on software).

My opinion is that they probably use the same software for the ARM part as
for recorder jukebox (I found there is some similarity for UI between MMJB
and JBR). Just a supposition though.

If you look at the TI site, you can find free source libraries to program a
DSP C5x, especially like DCT, Huffman encoder/decoder, etc. So you can be
able to program the DSP by yourselves and have plenty of audio formats like
WMA or OGG, if you could find a way to download your own firmware.

By the way, there is a gcc port for C5x too (a gcc port for ARM is too
trivial to be said) .

My 2 cents.