Subject: Re: ignoring paths when playingg from playlists
From: Jeff Waltzer (jeffwaltzer_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2003-01-05

   Maybe some intelligence could be applied to this. Instead of blindly
stripping out path information try working backwards on the invalid path
looking for the directories listed in it. A couple well thought out rules
of thumb should keep problems to a minimum.

--- Greg Haerr <greg_at_censoft.com> wrote:
> > On the other hand, it wouldn't be that hard for Rockbox to shorten the
> > path and retry. This approach will introduce other interesting
> problems,
> > when it may find the wrong song (with the same name but in a different
> > directory) if a file couldn't be found.
>
> It's not that big a deal - the current version won't play a song at
> all with an invalid path prefix, so it's not likely this approach will
> play many "incorrect" songs. The feature that is being requested
> will allow Rockbox to play playlists that currently don't work _at all_.
> In a non-technical-user-based device, I think it's always better
> for the device to do something, than nothing. And if the wrong
> song were ever to be played, you can always hit the "next" button.
>
> > Why not just use relative directories in your playlists? Do the
> freeware
> > programs that people use to create playlists not have the ability to
> do
> > this? One could always write a short perl script that walked your
> mp3
> directory
> > structure and converted all your playlists to use relative paths...
>
> I think the point here is to have Rockbox run playlists without having
> to muck with them. Archos does, so should we...
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg

=====

---
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
    - Yogi Berra