Subject: Re: ignoring paths when playingg from playlists

Re: ignoring paths when playingg from playlists

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 23:11:02 +0100

Greg Haerr wrote:
> It's not that big a deal - the current version won't play a song at
> all with an invalid path prefix, so it's not likely this approach will
> play many "incorrect" songs.

:-)

> The feature that is being requested
> will allow Rockbox to play playlists that currently don't work _at all_.

And guess why they don't work? Because they contain invalid path names.

> In a non-technical-user-based device, I think it's always better
> for the device to do something, than nothing. And if the wrong
> song were ever to be played, you can always hit the "next" button.

I don't agree. The user would not understand what is happening. I can
smell the bug report from here:

"Wrong song is played when I play a playlist"

I think it's better to do nothing than to do the wrong thing.

I'd rather have good documentation on how to create correct playlists
than to have Rockbox cluttered with code that corrects mistakes made by
the user.

Creating a correct playlist is such a simple thing.

> I think the point here is to have Rockbox run playlists without having
> to muck with them. Archos does, so should we...

I still don't agree. The Archos firmware does it, good for them. I never
have to "muck" with my playlists, because they are correct, without any
extra path information.

/Linus