Subject: Re: ignoring paths when playingg from playlists

Re: ignoring paths when playingg from playlists

From: Jeff Waltzer <jeffwaltzer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 08:53:14 -0800 (PST)

   Both relative and absolute paths have legimate uses. Absolute paths
are good if you want to move all your playlists to a seperate playlist
folder seperate from the mp3 files. Relative paths are good if you like
to move directories around and keep your playlists correct.

    Unfortunetly these two goals are not compatible with each other.
Moving directories with absolute playlists screws things up and moving
playlists with relative paths screws things up also.

    I don't know if there is a good solution for this problem. One could
have the archos be intelligent about looking for the files. One could
have utlities on the PC side that automatically fix playlists as files are
moved. Or one could just call the users 'stupid'. :)

--- Greg Haerr <greg_at_censoft.com> wrote:
> : I'd rather have good documentation on how to create correct playlists
> : than to have Rockbox cluttered with code that corrects mistakes made
> by
> : the user.
>
> We better start documenting how to use the default win32 jukebox
> software
> package then. (any volunteers ;(
>
> :
> : Creating a correct playlist is such a simple thing.
>
> Well, since few people except the original guy who asked for this
> feature seem to agree with me, I'll stop, after my last attempt at
> explaining why this feature _could_ be considered a decent feature,
> (with an on/off switch):
>
> "It would be nice to read documentation on how to create correct
> playlists, etc, instead of having the machine just work. However, the
> reason the playlist was created 'wrong' in the first place is because
> the windows software that comes with Jukebox creates it incorrectly,
> non-intuitively, for the user. Then the user tries to run the playlist,
> and of course, it doesn't work with Rockbox. Of course the user
> is a newbie, and doesn't 'get it', nor understand why it doesn't work,
> when he uses Rockbox, although the same playlist works on the
> original firmware."
>
> I'm willing to bet somebody lunch that this is the reason that Archos
> added the "feature" in the first place: the windows jukebox program they
> redistribute
> creates non-relative playlists, and they required it so that windows
> users can use the box...
>
> : I still don't agree. The Archos firmware does it, good for them. I
> never
> : have to "muck" with my playlists, because they are correct, without
> any
> : extra path information.
>
> Well it works for you, when you use non-archos-packaged
> playlist creation software not on windows.
>
> Note: the archos-bundled software is called "MusicMatch".
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg
>

> :
> : > I think the point here is to have Rockbox run playlists without
> having
> : > to muck with them. Archos does, so should we...
> :
> :
> : /Linus
> :

=====
---
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
    - Yogi Berra