Subject: RE: Archos Multimedia detailed hardware information
From: Matthew P. OReilly (moreilly_at_moreilly.com)
Date: 2003-01-06

AFAIK, this has to do with commingling GPL'd code with other code... Once
you do that, the GPL must be applied to all portions of the new code.
However, (again, only as far as I know,) if you use GPL code to create a
driver, for instance, and that driver is compiled separately from the rest
of the product, only that driver has to be GPL.

Basically, anything that is demonstrably a "derivative work" of GPL code
must also be GPL. This really hasn't been tested yet, in the US or
elsewhere. But keep in mind that there are some countries who don't
implement licensing laws like the US and EU do, so enforcing the GPL can get
tricky.

Matt