Subject: Re: Archos Jukebox design flaw
From: Andrew Jamieson (
Date: 2003-01-08

If your USB port strictly follows the spec, it is not possible to power a
standard HDD, as 500mA just doesnt cut it (these drives draw ~ 1A when
spinning up). However, many USB implementations have no, or very
rudimentary, current limiting (such as a PTC fuse). With such ports, you
can continue to draw power past the spec limit, all the way up to a level at
which either the PTC fuse trips (probably a bit over 1A, depending on the
type), or your port power supply has a cow.

So, this is one case where the Archos engineers did the right thing ....

Andrew Jamieson