Subject: Re: usb 2.0 transfers hanging the computer
From: Andrew Jamieson (
Date: 2003-01-09

> i think i was wrong about my usb 2.0 port. now i think it is usb 1.1.

Sounds like it. You should not get lock-ups with USB2 under any windows OS
(in my experience).

> actually, i'm still a bit confused which one it is. i thought it was usb 2
> because it seemed so much faster than my computer at home, but i notice
> speed difference only on "small" transfers (i.e. one directory or about an
> hour's worth of mp3's).

The faster speed on small transfers is probably just the PC filling its
buffer before doing the transfer in the background. For some reason,
Windows is happy to do this with no 'lock-ups' but once the buffer is full
and it needs to wait for the USB transfer to flush it, everything grinds to
a halt.