Subject: RE: infrared remote
From: Justin (
Date: 2003-01-10

>I'm not sure what use this would be, why would you want a remote on a
>personal player? possibly if you were using it to drive your stereo

Yup. The digital output jack makes it a really nice mp3 player for the
stereo system, and never needing to sync between your stereo player and
your pocket player (because they're the same device) is another
advantage. But a remote would really help.

>Radio frequency would be much more sensible, you could operate it from your
>pocket in that case.

Yup :-)
I've been poking around inside one of those $12 R/C cars (like Bit
CharG, or microsizers) and it's a nice miniature low-power RC system
that offers 8 independent button controls (via the use of a bin-hex
decoder/encoder IC at each end), so the hard work has already been done
- just gotto adapt it (the easiest way would be to wire the button
terminals inside the archos to the receiver, rather than the more
long-winded way of trying to emulate the control codes of the archos
Once again, it doesn't seem like a difficult project, but I won't have
any free time inthe forseeable future :-(