Subject: Re: 2.5" HDDs for Jukebox upgrade - List at http://rockbox.my-vserver.de/hdd-mod.html

Re: 2.5" HDDs for Jukebox upgrade - List at http://rockbox.my-vserver.de/hdd-mod.html

From: Paul \ <paul_at_gamingmp.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 00:46:47 -0000

404 dude.

sorry
Paul
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: for_spam_at_gmx.de
  To: archosjukebox6000_at_yahoogroups.com
  Cc: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se
  Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2003 12:26 AM

  Hello Sean,
  Your juke runs longer after hdd upgrade ?
  I replaced jbrec20 hdd with 60gb toshiba hdd. This drive seems
  to need some more power, so i don`t get longer runtimes.
  Though, I think we can`t say "the bigger the hdd, the more power it needs".
  IMHO it would be very fine if there was a list which gives information about
  the specs of all sorts of 2.5" HDDs available on the market today. (MTBF,
  Current, spinup timings....) - So this would give some help to people
  to find best HDD for an jukebox-upgrade.
  I could maintain this list, if you wish - send me your 2.5 " HDD - specs,
  links to websites ,reviews, comparisons, tests, manufacturers, personal
  opinion, compatibility issues, cheapest source for buying...........
  I think this information is valuable for the archos/rockbox community.

  what do you think ?

  Bjorn - i`d like to make such list available on
  http://rockbox.my-vserver.de/hdd-mod.html.
  Could you link that list from rockbox website ? I think a link from
  hardware_mods page would
  be useful.

  regards
  Roland

  --
  +++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more http://www.gmx.net +++

  About a month ago, I had the same choice to make. I picked the
  FM20. I really like the FM20 and I have no regrets about choosing
  it over the Recorder20, but there are some things to think about
  before making your choice.

  The only real downside is the battery issue. Where the recorder20
  uses AA NiMh cells, the FM20 uses a custom Li-Ion pack that you
  can't buy anywere. Even from Archos.

  Also, the battery life was less than I expected. You might get
  better runtime if you stay at 128kbps, but most of my stuff is at
  192. The most I ever got out of it was 7 hours before I upgraded the
  hard drive. After the upgrade I can get up to 11 hours.

  The Firmware is pretty good for Archos. There are a couple minor
  bugs: the info display always says files are 128 even if they are
  higher, and the track time counter is way off. I suspect they are
  related, and the counter is off because it is misreading the bitrate.
  I have not doubt that rockbox will eventually support it, but the
  Archos firmware is fine for now.

  The hard drive upgrade is more complicated than on the older models,
  as in, "hey, where'd I put my soldering iron". But the real hard
  part was finding a win98 box so I could partition the new drive.

  The FM tuner isn't the greatest, reception-wise, but adequate.
  Recording off the tuner works really well.

  So there you have it. No real deal killers in my book, but stuff to
  consider. If you do decide to go with the recorder20, get it soon.
  I doubt it will be around for long.

  archosjukebox6000-unsubscribe_at_egroups.com