Subject: Re: Recording filenames

Re: Recording filenames

From: Andreas Stemmer <Andreas.Stemmer_at_web.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 14:22:53 +0100

Hi

> I rather liked the setup of the stock Archos file naming technique - set a
> filename, and the software will increment it numerically with each new
> recording.

Perhaps it could be possible sometime to include some 'tags' in the filename
(perhaps an incrementing number, a timestamp or the date) for easily
creating automatic filnames like:
rehearsal_band_20030111_Part1.mp3
rehearsal_band_20030111_Part2.mp3

For me, it's not too important right now, because I will edit the files on
the PC anyway, renaming is no problem then. It's just an idea for the
future.

> Instead of the Archos character input method, might I suggest that we (at
> some later date) implement a typing scheme similar to that used on cell
> phones? (i.e., press a key repeatedly for the character you want - 2 =
> A,B,C; 3=D,E,F; 4=G,H,I, etc.) I think we have enough buttons to make it
> relatively efficient.

I don't like the typing scheme on cell phones. On the archos it would be
even more difficult, because the letters aren't printed on the buttons. I'd
prefer the method archos uses in the original firmware (on the recorder, I
don't know anything about the player/studio models) with a few extensions,
for example a cursor that allows you to change the first letter without
deleting all the other letters, too.

> Is there something like "Open-T9" on the net so we could integrate that
> into rockbox ? ;) Any hackers on this list ? Perhaps s.o. could hack
into
> Nokia Corporate Network and and take a look on T9 Code ? :))))

It could be a little bit difficult to create a predefined dictionary with
all band names and songs, as you won't type too much plain text I guess. But
some kind of autolearning-function that remembers everything you typed could
be quite cool indeed, something like the auto-completion of urls in
browsers.

Andreas Stemmer