Subject: Entering recording filenames fast - Re: Recording filenames
From: Martin Borus (
Date: 2003-01-11

Am 11 Jan 2003 um 10:05 hat Bryce Benton geschrieben:

> another possibility is to create a new name based on an existing filename
> or to modify an existing name (maybe you misspelled it with the keyboard
> and just need to change one or two letters).

In my opinion the Archos own firmware solution isn't all bad:
Keep the filename and let the user change it from a set of displayed

What I dont' like about their design is that you need a shift key to
toogle between uppercase, lowercase and numbers.

Assuming we give 4 lines of 15 chars to the virtual keyboard numbers
lowercase letters and the most important keys should fit on one level
All uppercase and the rest would fit one on shift level.

The order of the letters should be user defined to make typing as easy
as possible. If you got the time, have a look at "Click-n-type", a mousepointer
keyboard. This has a regular layout and a speed layout.

The speed looks like this (without shift):

All the important letters are close to each other. This takes a few minutes
of getting used to, then greatly increasing the typing speed.

Here's a download link