Subject: Re: FM transmitters - any suggestions?

Re: FM transmitters - any suggestions?

From: Tjerk Schuringa <regenpak_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:01:18 -0800 (PST)

--- Chris Weakland <ChrisWeakland_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> Actually an MP3 is much higher quality
> than a FM Stereo broadcast...

Years ago I used the Xing mp3 encoder and while fast, it cut off frequencies
above 15 kHz, just like an FM broadcast. As a result, the mp3 sounded crappy.
But you can't really compare mp3 with FM stereo. House mixes aired on the radio
are usually encoded _at_ 192 kbps which IMHO is utterly useless and a waste of
bandwidth. 96 is enough really, and I certainly don't hear the difference!

Also, while micropower might be legal stateside it is not in Europe. But if you
keep it very lopo no one will notice anyway. I myself am looking for a battery
powered kit that will provide FM stereo for use on my bike (the real, unpowered
type!) for use with my Aiwa Walkman. I know there are synthesizer chips that
will run on almost nothing, but if they can be persuaded to be an FM
transmitter I don't know as yet. A cheapcheap stereo encoder using CMOS chips
should be easy.

T.J.

.