Subject: Re: FM transmitters - any suggestions?
From: Tjerk Schuringa (regenpak_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2003-01-13

--- Chris Weakland <ChrisWeakland_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> Actually an MP3 is much higher quality
> than a FM Stereo broadcast...

Years ago I used the Xing mp3 encoder and while fast, it cut off frequencies
above 15 kHz, just like an FM broadcast. As a result, the mp3 sounded crappy.
But you can't really compare mp3 with FM stereo. House mixes aired on the radio
are usually encoded @ 192 kbps which IMHO is utterly useless and a waste of
bandwidth. 96 is enough really, and I certainly don't hear the difference!

Also, while micropower might be legal stateside it is not in Europe. But if you
keep it very lopo no one will notice anyway. I myself am looking for a battery
powered kit that will provide FM stereo for use on my bike (the real, unpowered
type!) for use with my Aiwa Walkman. I know there are synthesizer chips that
will run on almost nothing, but if they can be persuaded to be an FM
transmitter I don't know as yet. A cheapcheap stereo encoder using CMOS chips
should be easy.

T.J.

.