Subject: Re: Record bug?

Re: Record bug?

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:42:38 +0100

Matthew P. OReilly wrote:
> Using daily build 030107, there seems to be a bug in the file completion
> when recording. I have several recordings that play just fine, but the
> frames are counted incorrectly or something... The Archos reports a song
> length of 5:02, instead of the 6:02 that Winamp reports. When the file
> plays beyond 5:02, the elapsed time counter gets screwy both on the Archos
> and in Winamp (on Winamp the remaining time thing goes haywire, too). So I
> think the file information is not being written properly when recording is
> stopped and the file is closed.
>
> Has this been fixed in more recent builds?

This is because the recorded files have variable bit rate (VBR) and they
have no VBR header (Xing or VBRI). Thus the player doesn't know how long
the song is.

Winamp usually calculates the correct time, but it may have problems if
the sampling rate isn't 44.1 or 48kHz. Rockbox and the original Archos
firmware will think it is a CBR file and calculate the song length based
on the first encountered frame in the file.

Rockbox will add Xing headers to the recorded files, but not until I can
find the time to commit it to CVS (it is written, but not tested).

/Linus