Subject: Re: Bookmarking Help

Re: Bookmarking Help

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 09:05:55 -0800

Thanks for the comments all,

1. I had originally envisioned having a centralized location for
bookmarks because this would allow a user to have easier access to
them (i.e. it would be something like \bookmarks). If I had gotten
around to it (and I might still, I just got some free time each day),
I would have added code to auto-increment (foo.mp3 would create
foo.mp3.1.bmf or something like that) until it found a free name.
The main problem with this is that it would cause problems with
MP3 or M3U that have the same name, like CD1.mp3. In hindsite, I
may code it to create the file in the directory of the MP3 or M3U.

2. I want to add bookmark capability to the F3 menu, but I figured
that could wait until user defined keys are available. That would
give the user who doesn't use bookmarks an extra button.

3. I'll clean up the code today based on Björn's comments (but I
really like C++ comments :-)). I'll also make the extension easily
changable in the code instead of hardcoding. I don't really care
what the extension actually is.

4. I chose an * because it's not allowed as a charactor in either
a filename or a directory on Windows (not sure about Linux). Ultimaty
I'd rather have each field on it's own line and read it in line by
line, but I haven't figured out how to read or write that out with
the current commands. Any suggestions? Ideally, I'd just use commands
like:
   - write_line(int file_pointer, char* line, int line)
   - read_line(int file, char* line)

5. I haven't figured out the best way to delete bookmarks. Any suggestions.

6. While I like the idea of a menu, I think that would be a bigger
pain then it is worth. I'd think a person who would use the bookmarking
feature (as opposed to the autobookmarking, or multi-resume feature)
would use it a lot and would have a bunch of different bookmarks.
The menu could get unwieldy. Keeping the bookmarks in the directory
of the MP3 or M3U would keep this a little more managable and could
be set up as a view in the File View options, similar to Playlists
options.

7. Finally, I was toying around with the idea of "last bookmark",
where essentially there you be a file in the root that would be
a copy of the last created bookmark (not autobookmark). Easy enough
to code, but I'm not sure if there's an interest/need. Let e know
what people think.

Ben