Subject: RE: Xing headers optional? Re: Record bug?
From: Daniel Stenberg (
Date: 2003-01-14

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Matthew P. OReilly wrote:

> So does that make it easier or harder to do a post-write check
> (user-initiated) on the file to see if the headers are in fact correct?

Ok, I'm now trespassing in an area where Linus is the expert and I am but a

Verifying that the Xing header data of a particular is in fact correct would
need the entire file scanned.

If I'm not mistaking, the Xing basicly offers 100 indexes into the file, to
allow quick-jumping to various positions in the file.

I'm not sure how we are (or rather Linus is) going to make the header.

 Daniel Stenberg -- --