Subject: Recorder have 16 MB RAM standard from archos??

Recorder have 16 MB RAM standard from archos??

From: Chris Muth <muthchris_at_muth.cc>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 01:13:22 -0600

Hey,
I was looking at the pictures of the recorder
here <http://rockbox.haxx.se/internals/rec_main_bottom.jpg>.
The RAM chip appears to be a ISSI "IS41LV16105-60T".

Goto <http://www.issi.com/index.html> and do a search for
"IS41LV16105-60T". You will see one result
<http://www.issi.com/pdf/41c16105.pdf>.
That is a 16 MB RAM chip.

Am I missing something, or we only using the lower 1/8th of the
available RAM?

I am fairly confident that the recorder has a 16 MB RAM chip in it,
However I am not sure why the recorder is said to have only 2 MB of RAM.
Something else is why wouldn't the hardware hackers out there that are working
on the archos have seen this before I?

I have got to be missing something!
There is no way archos would put a 16 MB RAM chip in the recorder and only
use the lower 2 MB. One possibility is that they were unable to address the upper
14 MB with the RAM controller in the SH-1. If that is the case, it would not be possible to
upgrade the RAM in the recorder. ...Unless, it is not possible to address the upper 14 MB
or memory in this particular RAM chip, but it is possible with others?
Once again I am just thinking into the keyboard.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Best Regards,
        Chris Muth