Subject: Re: Re[2]: Bookmark Files
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2003-01-17

Stuart Tedford wrote:
> I think these floater files are bad practice, for any application,

I don't see why it's better to spread the linked data to opposite sides of the disk?

The mp3 files are data. These files are data that are intimately linked to the mp3 files. It makes absolutely no sense making a whole new directory tree in a remote location for these files.

Think ahead a month, when we support track-specific .cfg files. Joe User has saved a nice boom-box .cfg file he wants to use on a couple of dancy mp3 tunes in differnent dirs. Do you really want to require him to recreate his entire archos directory tree under /.rockbox just for this? I sure don't.

And when someone adds support for the f5 lyrics format. Do you want those files to be copied into some remote directory as well, completely separated from the mp3 file whose lyrics they contain? What about .cue files? Album covers?

> Imagine if every application I used to play my mp3s generated its own
> floater files in my mp3 directory tree, it would be a big mess.

Nobody is creating anything you are not asking to have created.

If I ask WinAmp to save a track-specific equalizer file (if it could do such a thing), I damn well expect it to be saved close to the track.

--
Björn