Subject: Re: Audible distortion/clipping

Re: Audible distortion/clipping

From: Joaquim Carvalho <jdc_at_x64.com>
Date: 20 Jan 2003 16:15:53 +0000

> > Joaquim Carvalho wrote:
> > > I can clearly hear some distortion/clipping when using rockbox,
> > > even if when the sound volume setting on the phones is low.
> > > Maybe the max volume setting in rockbox is too high?
> >
> > I don't want to sound rude, but why do you set it that loud then? There
> > are so many different earphones out there, and all of them are different
> > in that aspect.
> >
> > Yes, maybe Rockbox has a "too loud" maximum setting, but why is that a
> > problem?
> >
> > /Linus
>
> Good point. If you have a volume control on the headphones (I don't like
> this "feature" at all on phones, personally) you should set the volume all
> the way up and then adjust the source to the loudest you will be playing it.
> Then adjust your headphone volume as you wish and you will never hear this
> distortion.
>
> Those of us with different headphones than Joaquim might not be able to get
> full volume if something in rockbox were changed, and we would all come and
> TP Joaquim's house. :) (kidding, really)

I'm NOT talking about headphone distortion.

Full volume on the jukebox should be full volume. Exceeding the
output limit of the DAC (16 bits -> +32767 to -32768 ) for putting
a few more milliwatts into the headphones is not a good thing.

If you want loud music just buy headphones with a good sensitivity
(dB/milliwatt ratio)