Subject: Re: ROLO / two-stage booting for rockbox
From: Justin Heiner (
Date: 2003-01-18

>Hi !
>What about making "independent" ROLO an Rockbox option, i.e. moving
>ROLO out of rockbox code ???
>I like the Idea of having a "first stage bootloader" which gives
>a menu with different options to choose.
>On my PC I use LILO for booting Linux Kernel 2.2, 2.4, 2.5.x....., windows
>and so on. This is a good concept - it is convenient and it is easy.

One way of implementing this is to simply create a seperate firmware that acts the same way that LILO does. You really don't have to even include it in the main Rockbox stuff. All it's doing is ROLO, so you would think that it would be very easy to create a seperate app.

It wouldn't need to handle anything with sound, just printing to the screen and doing ROLO. Once this is created, you probably never need to update it. Hell, when's the last time that a boot loader got many more features? :-)

This way, the people who want it could have it, and the people that don't want it dont need to have it.