Subject: Re: Audible distortion/clipping

Re: Audible distortion/clipping

From: Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:15:58 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joaquim Carvalho" <jdc_at_x64.com>
To: <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 11:15 AM

> > > I don't want to sound rude, but why do you set it that loud then?
There
> > > are so many different earphones out there, and all of them are
different
> > > in that aspect.
> > >
> > > Yes, maybe Rockbox has a "too loud" maximum setting, but why is that a
> > > problem?
> > >
> > > /Linus
> >
> > Good point. If you have a volume control on the headphones (I don't
like
> > this "feature" at all on phones, personally) you should set the volume
all
> > the way up and then adjust the source to the loudest you will be playing
it.
> > Then adjust your headphone volume as you wish and you will never hear
this
> > distortion.
> >
> > Those of us with different headphones than Joaquim might not be able to
get
> > full volume if something in rockbox were changed, and we would all come
and
> > TP Joaquim's house. :) (kidding, really)
>
> I'm NOT talking about headphone distortion.

Neither was I.

> Full volume on the jukebox should be full volume. Exceeding the
> output limit of the DAC (16 bits -> +32767 to -32768 ) for putting
> a few more milliwatts into the headphones is not a good thing.

You didn't say that this is what you thought was causing the distortion. If
you believe the DAC is being overdriven, then you should have said so from
the start. I felt that there were many reasons possibly causing the
distortion and I was outlining a simple technique you could use so that you
would not encounter it. I never have personally, but I have never felt the
need to have the volume set above 80-85 and I don't use any headphones with
inline volume controls.

> If you want loud music just buy headphones with a good sensitivity
> (dB/milliwatt ratio)

No problems there.

Chris