Subject: Re: Linux driver

Re: Linux driver

From: Chris Muth <muthchris_at_muth.cc>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:54:26 -0600

Original message from: Peter Nome
>Final report from the Linux front
>
>I downloaded the "bleeding-edge build" for the recorder from this afternoon
>(2003-01-20 16:20:00) and copied it to the archos. I haven't tested the
>functionality much, but I can report that hotswapping works! I can now boot the
>computer without having the archos attached, attach it and mount it, unmount it and
>detach it, and then reattach it. Great!

Dude, that's what I said! "plug -> mount -> [do whatever] -> unmount -> unplug -> {return to step one if desired}"
(See my previous email in this thread)
You can "hotplug" (as you put it) even with the firmware supplied by archos!
What you do manually is basically what is done for you in windoze. When you say "safely remove", you are just telling
the computer to unmount the jukebox.
See this doc for more info about USB <http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usbspec.zip>

>It's very useful to be able to attach and remove the device using a computer that's
>already running. I actually didn't test if this worked without the Rockbox, but it
>sure works with. When I was using the default driver, I got "device busy" and it
>wouldn't unmount. Might be a fluke, or not.

That is because you had a program that was accessing the jukebox.
Having a shell's present working directory in the jukebox would qualify.

>Thanks for all the GOOD WORK!!! Wow.
>
>Cheers,
>Peter

-Chris Muth