Subject: Re: Audible distortion/clipping
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (
Date: 2003-01-21

Björn Stenberg wrote:
> Joaquim Carvalho wrote:
>>Full volume on the jukebox should be full volume. Exceeding the
>>output limit of the DAC (16 bits -> +32767 to -32768 ) for putting
>>a few more milliwatts into the headphones is not a good thing.
> You mean every other consumer audio equipment you own is perfectly distortion free at max volume? Your discman, walkman, pocket FM radio?

Ooops. It just came to mind that we do "overdrive" the MAS decoder. The
100% volume setting in Rockbox is 12dB, and 90% is 0dB. Setting the
volume above 90% may introduce digital distortion.

We can solve this in several ways:

1) Don't allow a volume above 0dB

2) Give a warning when setting it above 0dB

3) Let 0dB be 100% and allow the user to set it up to 110% (or whatever)

4) Don't do anything

5) ???