Subject: Re: Linux driver
From: Peter Nome (peter_at_cogweb.net)
Date: 2003-01-21

Hi Neil -
I tested this, and hotswapping does work in both firmwares. However, when I use
rockbox, it works even if I the Archos is not attached when the computer boots. The
default archos firmware gave me an error when I tried it -- couldn't find the
/dev/sda1 device. The Jukebox Recorder 20 isn't fully standards compliant and it
looks like Rockbox is successfully working around this.

In the Features comparison list at , it says Rockbox will and default firmware won't
"USB attach/detach without reboot." This could be misunderstood -- as you point out,
hotswapping works in both cases. But it's an important difference that hotswapping
with Rockbox doesn't need the machine to boot with the Archos attached. A lot of
Linux machines especially are just generally left running, so this is actually very
important.

Cheers,
Peter

Neil wrote,
Just thought i let you know that the it doesn't matter which firmware you use,
hotswapping works with both the archos & rochbox firmware (as USB is supposed
to do.)

Later,

Neil