Subject: Re: Use SLEEP instruction for longer (?) runtime
From: Bj÷rn Stenberg (
Date: 2003-01-21

Simon ElÚn wrote:
> Now that's what I call a fast response :-)

Yeah, I was curious about your choice of method. We have discussed this method previously, but rejected it since so very little time (a fraction of a tick) is actually spent sleeping. We didn't think it would make any noticeable difference on power use. Have you made any measurements?

The more efficient, but also more difficult, solution is to rewrite the scheduler to use a sorted sleep queue with a timeout for each thread and a wakeup timer interrupt. That way we can sleep for farily long periods of time. (At least on Recorder.)