Subject: USB On-The-Go (OTG) (was: Re: 2nd ATA Device on JB20 Recorder)

USB On-The-Go (OTG) (was: Re: 2nd ATA Device on JB20 Recorder)

From: Francesco Grassi <frangras_at_tin.it>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 00:25:58 +0100

Hi guys,
I found these links:
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/buses/usb/products/otg/

http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/buses/usb/products/otg/tutorial/index.
html
[...]
Point-to-Point Connectivity The OTG Supplement extends the USB standard to
enable point-to-point communication between two USB devices: one OTG device
and another OTG or traditional USB device. Because the two devices still
maintain the roles of host and peripheral, OTG point-to-point communication
is not to be confused with peer-to-peer. Unlike traditional USB, OTG allows
only one peripheral at a time to be connected to the device acting as host.
OTG devices do support USB hubs, a traditional way of enabling multiple USB
peripherals to share a single USB host connection. However, some OTG
functionality such as swapping host/peripheral roles and peripheral session
requests are not supported across today's USB hubs.

USB OTG device types range from battery-powered handheld products to
non-portable peripherals. While initial device roles (host/peripheral) are
defined by how they are cabled together, some OTG devices can switch roles
through the host negotiation protocol (HNP) without changing the cabling.

Figure 3: OTG enables point-to-point connectivity between peripherals
without a traditional PC host.

To better understand how new OTG devices and features add to existing USB
functionality, a quick review of USB device terminology follows.

The A-device is the default host at the start of a session. It supplies
power to VBUS.
The B-device is the default peripheral at the start of a session.
To these, the OTG Supplement adds the OTG device and defines two types: a
dual-role device and a peripheralonly device.
[...]

http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego/

Maybe it could be useful for our objective...

FG