Subject: HDD upgrade - my experiences
From: Peter König (
Date: 2003-01-23

Hi everyone!
Yesterday I updated my Archos recorder with this drive:
Hitachi DK23EA-40
40.0 GB 2.5" IDE HDD-ATA5-4200U/Min-13mS-9.5mm/2048 KB Cache

available in germany at for approx. 147
the drive is very silent and fast. a good choice I think.
at this place they have also a neat usb-case
( for approx. 21
Euro where you can put your old drive. this way you get a cool
external hdd for backup and stuff.

How I did partioning/formatting:
1. replaced my old notebook hdd with the new one for the archos
2. since Award BIOS 4.xx can't recognize drives > 30 GB, I turned off
"auto"-recognition of drives in the BIOS and switched it to "none"
3. boot from floppy using the hitachi/ontrack "diskmanager"-disk
( DL the
"Diskette Version")
4. partion and format the drive using "advance options"
5. changed the drives again and changed the BIOS settings back the
way they were
6. put the new drive in its place but don't fully reassemble it yet!
check the functions and booting the rockbox firmware first.

that's it

Dieses E-Mail wurde kostenlos über verschickt.
Günstig fliegen - keine Glücksache! 100'000 Flugtarife online -