Subject: Re: Re[2]: Compiled Bookmarks Firmware
From: Benjamin (
Date: 2003-01-23

>--I am all for centralized bookmarks, but that is a matter of opinion
>(maybe an option for this?)
There was a big old debate on this a last week and it was never resolved.
I made the code so that only one function would been to be changed
(bookmark_generate_bookmark_name()) in order to handle a centralized
model. I'm leaving that up to the community to decide the final
model, but I prefer de-centralized. I've toyed around with creating
an MD5 value for the bookmark file name and centralize, thus eliminating
duplication of names.

>--The functions "Create Bookmark" and "Load bookmark" should be in a
>quick menu, like a hold of F1 or in the F2/F3 quick menu.
I think that this should wait until "user-defined" keys are implemented.

>--The menu item "Auto-Load" should be called "Auto-Load Bookmarks"
Easy enough change. I just kept it simple.

>--A .bmark file icon would be nice.
Yep. I have no idea how to do that though :-).

>--It would be nice if the filename was used instead of the ID3 title
tag for
>the internal bookmark name. This may just be a matter of preference,
>but I think with a file base jukebox (as compared to a tag based
>jukebox like the ipod) filenames are usually in better order.
I waffled with that and ended up deciding up the track name since
some tracks may have a file name that is "track-1.mp3"

>--The bookmark file should save the play state of the player
>(shuffle,repeat,etc.) and load these up with the bookmark. I like
>listening to music in shuffle, but I hate to listen to chapters of
>audiobooks in shuffle.
Not a bad idea. Shouldn't be that hard to implement, though backwards
compatability for the existing .bmark files would be shot (though
a perl script could fix it)

>Otherwise, it is looking very nice so far. I do like the features.
Thanks. It was something I wanted so I coded it up.