Subject: Re: Questions on development

Re: Questions on development

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:40:01 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Martyn Weber wrote:

> Still having trouble applying patches as diffs, anyone got a short tutorial
> they could direct me to (see my other post 'Diffs?' to see what I've tried.

1. Use the tools 'diff' and 'patch'. Preferably the GNU versions.

2. We generate diffs (often called patches) usinth 'diff' in a manner
   similar to this:

      diff -u oldfile newfile > patch

   People who have checked out code with cvs can do diffs using cvs like
   this:

      cvs diff -u file > patch

   diff can also be used on a whole directory etc to generate one file with
   changes done to multiple:

      diff -u olddir newdir > patch

3. Applying a 'patch' (output from diff -u) is done with the 'patch' tool:

      patch < patchfile

   If there is path information in the patchfile that you want to cut off
   from the left, tell patch how many directory levels to cut off to find the
   names in your file system:

     patch -p0 < patchfile (remove no path part)
     patch -p1 < patchfile (remove the first-level dir)
     patch -p2 < patchfile (remove two levels of dirs)

> Second question is about how the debugging version works. Do I need to mod
> the box and add a serial port or can I just view the output on the Recorder
> screen?

The debug version is for running with gdb on a hardware-modified target, yes.

> I'm not interested in using the debugger with it, just seeing debugging
> messages will do me.

We've developed the simulator(s) for that purpose as well, and speaking from
my own experiences, almost everything in Rockbox is possible to develop in
the simulator before even trying it on the actual hardware.