Subject: Re: Use SLEEP instruction for longer (?) runtime

Re: Use SLEEP instruction for longer (?) runtime

From: Andrew Jamieson <ajamiesn_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:15:34 +1100

OK. For this build (in idle state):

No power save mode: 110mA
CPU Sleep: 98mA
CPU Stop: 95mA
CPU Standby: 81mA

So, it seems having a more efficient scheduler to increase the time spent
sleeping does not seem worthwhile, as the best we can get it only 3mA more
than what we have at the moment (Simon's implementation). It should be
noted that changing the states of various port pins during sleep may have an
effect on this current consumption, causing it to deviate from documented
values. However, any further savings would apply equally to the readings of
'sleep' and 'stop' modes.

Clearly, standby would be awesome if we could implement it, saving up to a
whopping 20% on the best we can currently achieve. However, the reality of
the HW is something of an obstacle. I will do some more hunting on my
Player to see if I can find any ways to reduce the sleep current, and look
for hope as to a standby mode. Updated schematics will follow.