Subject: Low recording volumes (with original firmware)

Low recording volumes (with original firmware)

From: Sweth Chandramouli <rockbox_at_astaroth.sweth.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:30:17 -0500

        Just got an Archos Recorder 20, and have been trying to
record using the Archos' Line In, from the stereo out of a mixing board.
(I haven't yet gotten around to trying out the Rockbox builds with
recording enabled, so I'm switching back to the default firmware for
these recordings.) I'm setting the recording levels on the Archos so
that they are just barely clipping during the loudest parts of the
recording, but in the resulting mp3s, the volumes are rather low--those
same loudest passages are never louder than about -3dB when I convert
the mp3 to a WAV and open it up in SoundForge, for example. Is this
normal? I would expect 0dB on the recording meter to be 0dB in the
resulting mp3.

        TIA,

        Sweth.

--
Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
svc_at_idiopathic.net      http://www.idiopathic.net/