Subject: Re: Low recording volumes (with original firmware)

Re: Low recording volumes (with original firmware)

From: Sweth Chandramouli <rockbox_at_astaroth.sweth.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 15:53:35 -0500

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 01:53:02PM -0600, gerald clark wrote:
> I would suggest you use a 0db reference tone.
> Using the Archos "db meter" to set a 0db level from a music
> source is hardly a scientific test.
> I am supprised you got within 3 db.
>
> Personally, I expect nothing but bugs from the Archos software.
> From my experience, you are lucky if it records at all.
        ??? I'm confused. Even though it's an analog input, it's
being recorded to digital, so there's an absolute max that 0 dB can
definitionally be set to without using any reference tone; why wouldn't
the level meter on the Archos be set to use that absolute max as the
clipping point?
        If it's just buggy software, then how does the Rockbox
recording deal with levels--is there any type of level meter in the
Rockbox recorder, and if so, is it set the way one would expect, where
0 dB == max volume? What about gain adjustment?

        (Hmm... a really nice feature in the recorder software
would be if there were a level meter that would have persistant peak
markers that would respond to the gain adjustment. Any chance of
something like that?)

        -- Sweth.

--
Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
svc_at_idiopathic.net      http://www.idiopathic.net/