Subject: Re: Symlinks on Archos

Re: Symlinks on Archos

From: Sweth Chandramouli <rockbox_at_astaroth.sweth.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:55:13 -0500

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 07:57:06PM +0100, roland wrote:
> Hi Sweth,
> what about a playlist ?
> or bookmark function ?
        I'm not familiar with bookmarks; what are they?

> why do you need symlinks on your juke ?
        Unfortunately, playlists are only meaningful to MP3 players.
I don't use my Archos entirely for music; I also keep some data files
on it, and having symlinks with those would help with organization.
        And even for the mp3s, it would be nice to have symlinks
so as to ease the building of playlists via scripts. I have a lot of CD
singles that I've ripped onto my Archos, on which one of the tracks is
the same as the album version of the track (which I also have), and I've
got the contents of those singles in subfolders of the album itself. So
I've got things like

o Album 1
  + Track 1
  + Track 2
  + Track 3
  + Track 4
  + Track 5
  o CD Single
    + Track 1
    + Track 6
    + Track 7

        , and I have a script that will go through an make a
playlist for Album 1 that will include Tracks 1-7, and one for CD Single
that includes Tracks 1, 6, and 7. The logic I have to use to remove the
duplicate of Track 1 is kind of annoying, and it would be much easier to
implement if Track 1 in the CD Single subfolder were a symlink to the
original (which would also save on space). I _could_ remove Track 1
from the CD Single folder, and create a placeholder txt file that my
playlist-making app would use to make a playlist for the CD Single
subfolder, but that's kind of kludgy, too, and doesn't help with the
datafile issue.

        -- Sweth.

--
Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
svc_at_idiopathic.net      http://www.idiopathic.net/