Subject: Re: Symlinks on Archos

Re: Symlinks on Archos

From: Sweth Chandramouli <rockbox_at_astaroth.sweth.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 16:46:41 -0500

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 03:55:10PM -0500, rockbox_at_diffenbach.org wrote:
> I don't know what Mr. Chandramouli's answer is, but I can tell you mine:
> hierarchical organization doesn't scale well to large numbers of MP3s.
[snip]
> A third answer would be to construct a database in place of (or more likely
> on top of) the hierarchical file system, to allow access to tracks via a
> multiple paths, a graph-like rather than the tree-like structure of the
> hierarchical file system. It's this third answer I'm currently working on;
> whether it will fit on an Archos is another question (but I don't rule it
> out).
        I've run into this problem, too, and while symlinks would
help with that, I've found that the DB answer is the only one that ever
makes anal people like myself (and, it seems, Tom) happy. :) While I'd
love something like that in Rockbox, however, I'm not going to hold my
breath. I've built various homegrown MP3 management DBs and scripts
before, however, so if anyone wants to bounce ideas off of someone before
implementing something like this themselves, feel free to ask.

        -- Sweth.

--
Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
svc_at_idiopathic.net      http://www.idiopathic.net/