Subject: Creating playlists internally. Why?

Creating playlists internally. Why?

From: Michael Hopper <mkhopper_at_depotek.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:47:42 -0500 (EST)

Without too many flames, could someone please explain to me the need for
wanting to create playlists internally via the Rockbox software?

To me at least, it seems that with the limited amount of memory to work
with, and the fact that playlists are so easily created externally and
then transfered to the device, using Rockbox to make lists seems like,
well, a waste of resources that could be used for other, more important
items.

Personally, on my PCs, when listening to music, I use Winamp with a
plug-in that doubles as a very good playlist creator and powerful id tag
editor. (unfortunately, I don't have the PC running winamp available the
moment, so the name of this plug-in escapes me. have to look for it
later.) I also use CoolPlayer. When I need to create playlists to be
used on the Archos, I plug in the USB cable and point Coolplayer to that
drive. I select the files I need, or in my usual case, all 3900+ of them,
and just save the resulting .m3u file back to the Archos. Simple as that.

So again, maybe it's just me, but I'm confused as to why anyone would want
to create playlists directly on the unit.

Someone, please enlighten me. :)

(To the Rockbox folks, this project you've created is incredible. It was
because of this that I purchased a JBR20 in the first place. Plese keep
up the great work.)

Thx
M.Hopper