Subject: RE: Creating playlists internally. Why?

RE: Creating playlists internally. Why?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:51:20 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Holger Lembke wrote:

> > > Without too many flames, could someone please explain to me the need
> > > for wanting to create playlists internally via the Rockbox software?
> >
> > It will for example enable us to play selected directories "recursively",
> > which won't be possible otherwise.
>
> Its perhaps more a word misunderstanding. For an end user, a playlist is a
> list s/he creates by adding files (and perhaps folders).
>
> For the Rockbox, as I would understand it, it is more a queue of 'to be
> played mp3s'. And this queue could be filled by reading a playlist. Or by
> selecting a folder or file. Or by selecting a.... imagine what ever.

Right, Rockbox knows of only two ways of plaing mp3 files:

        1. In-memory playlists (used when pressing PLAY on a single mp3)
        2. On-disk playlists (used when pressing PLAY on a playlist)

The in-memory one only fits up to 400 entries and max 16KB. The on-disk one
fits 10000 entries.

So, to add recursive-directory play support to Rockbox, one very simple
approach is to automaticly generate a playlist and then play it.