Subject: Re: Problems with 60GB Toshiba HD

Re: Problems with 60GB Toshiba HD

From: Andre Roessel <RCS-Technik_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:36:25 +0100

> Hello. I just tried upgrading the 20GB Hitachi hard drive in
> my Recorder to a 60 GB Toshiba, model number MK6021GAS.
I did the same some months ago and it worked from the beginning without any
problems. The only thing is, you have to format the drive with FAT32, and although
this can be done with WIN98 it canīt be done with XP or 2000. XP and 2000 format
large drives with NTFS by standard and cannot be forced to FAT32. You need
either a WIN98 system or external programs for XP/2000.

> Does this make sense to anyone? Do I have a defective drive?
> When I swap my original Hitachi drive back into the Archos, it
> works fine. This is 100% reproducible.
>
> I pre-partitioned the Toshiba drive in my desktop computer, so
> I'm sure the new drive works and has no bad blocks.
>
> One thing I noticed: the Toshiba says "60 GB, 5V 0.7A" on the
> outside, whereas the original Hitachi says "20 GB, 5V 0.5A".
> I wouldn't think that 200mA would cause the Recorder strain,
> but that's the only difference I can find.
This is no problem.
> Well, it seems like the Toshiba takes a long time to spin up.
> Maybe the Archos has a quick timeout?
>
> Should this drive work with the Archos? Maybe I should upgrade
> to the 60 GB Hitachi DK23EA?
Yes, it definetly works. It is a bit louder than the original drive, but there are no other
problems.

Regards,

Andre.