Subject: Re: Bookmarks

Re: Bookmarks

From: Chris Holt <amiga2k_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:49:16 -0500

---- Original Message -----
From: "Björn Stenberg" <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
To: <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 7:11 AM

> Vincent Kargatis wrote:
> > From: "Björn Stenberg" <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
> > > Additionally, I want to separate between file and playlist bookmarks.
> >
> > What do you mean by this, functionally?
>
> Most comments have been about the auto-bookmark feature, which is mostly
used for playlists.

> I also want to be able to set a bookmark for the specific file I'm
listening to, so I can return to the mark in this file no matter when I play
the file, playlist or not. Think audio books.

> I personally see no need for auto-bookmarking in files.
>
> --
> Björn

I'm not sure I understand your comments at all, and I'm wondering if we are
talking about two different things.

Someone posted a link here that was to a compiled version of what I assumed
was a recent daily build with bookmarking in it. Audiobooks is exactly what
I have been using the auto-bookmark feature for. I have it turned on, and
when I am listening to a book and want to go listen to another book or some
music for a bit, I hit Stop and go do that. When I come back to the book, I
play any file in that folder and it asks me if I want to Auto-Load. I say
Yes and pick up exactly where I left off in the book. To me this
implementation is perfect. It does exactly what I want. I don't use
playlists much at all, so I'm not even sure how autobookmarking functions
with them, but it dosen't detract from the way I use it, as I describe
above, at all.

There are also two menu items "Create Bookmark" and "Load Bookmark" at the
top of the menu, but I think it would be cool to have them in the F3 menu
for quick access if I want to mark a particular passage to play for someone,
or to re-listen later. It occurs to me that this would be great for
lectures, to bookmark the highlights (if there are any) in a particular
lecture.

To give an indication of my bias toward audiobooks, I have an AJBR 20 with
3.2 Gig free and 3.4 Gig of music files, the remaining 10+ Gig is Audiobooks
_at_32kbps and some OTR at lower bitrates. :)