Subject: Re: Help please! My archos is dead!

Re: Help please! My archos is dead!

Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:17:16 -0800

I can't offer much advice on if your Archos is broken or not, but
I can suggest that you check the plug of the Radio Shack adapter.
If you grabbed the wrong size (too big), it may plug in but there
might not be any continuous center contact, so if it moves, the contact
could be lost and charging won't occur. The other option is to test
your Archos power-supply with a meter to see if it's sending out
any juice.

Ben

At Wednesday, 29 January 2003, you wrote:

>Hi,
> Sorry this isn't really about rockbox development, but I figured
you guys
>are my best hope. About a month ago, my power supply mysteriously
stopped
>working. My unit (Recorder 20) would still power on, play, record,
etc.
>using battery power, but there was no way to charge it. There was
just no
>power getting from the wall to the jukebox. Ok. So I went and
bought a
>radio shack universal adapter, 9 volts, 800 miliamps, plugged it
in while I
>was in the store, and it the unit powered on. So I figure, great,
it works.
> That was easy. Not so, sadly. When I got home and plugged it
in for more
>than five seconds, I find that, while there is enough of a current
getting
>to the machine to wake it up, it crashes after a few seconds. Rockbox
>loads, but doesn't show the charging icon, and shows that my battery
is dead
>(which it was). I started it up a few more times, just to see what
would
>happen, and sometimes I got an ATA error (I don't have the message
written
>down anymore, sorry), but sometimes, there would be no error, and
rockbox
>would load as usual, only to crash again a few seconds later. So,
perhaps
>foolishly, I ordered a replacement power supply from archos, which
arrived
>the other day, and which does absolutely nothing when I plug it
into my
>Jukebox.
> So, my question to all of you clever rockboxers is this: what's
wrong
>with my machine? Is it something that I, (or an electronically gifted
>friend) could possibly fix? Archos' web site says they'll only accept
>returns within 90 days of purchase, which have long since passed.
So what