Subject: Problems with 60GB Toshiba HD
From: Scott Bronson (bronson_at_rinspin.com)
Date: 2003-01-29

Hello. I just tried upgrading the 20GB Hitachi hard drive in
my Recorder to a 60 GB Toshiba, model number MK6021GAS.

The problem is, with the Toshiba drive installed, the Archos
doesn't boot. It gets 3 bars on the boot progress indicator,
then bails with:

    HD register error
    SC1 (85) 211
    SN1 (170) 0
    SC2 (170) 211
    SN2 (85) 195

    ROM version 1.26

Does this make sense to anyone? Do I have a defective drive?
When I swap my original Hitachi drive back into the Archos, it
works fine. This is 100% reproducible.

I pre-partitioned the Toshiba drive in my desktop computer, so
I'm sure the new drive works and has no bad blocks.

One thing I noticed: the Toshiba says "60 GB, 5V 0.7A" on the
outside, whereas the original Hitachi says "20 GB, 5V 0.5A".
I wouldn't think that 200mA would cause the Recorder strain,
but that's the only difference I can find.

Well, it seems like the Toshiba takes a long time to spin up.
Maybe the Archos has a quick timeout?

Should this drive work with the Archos? Maybe I should upgrade
to the 60 GB Hitachi DK23EA?

I'd love to know that that HD register error is trying to tell
me. Thanks very much,

    - Scott