Subject: Re: Re[2]: Rockbox 2.0 Feature Freeze

Re: Re[2]: Rockbox 2.0 Feature Freeze

From: Sweth Chandramouli <rockbox_at_astaroth.sweth.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:57:51 -0500

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 06:14:40PM +0100, Björn Stenberg wrote:
> Eric Linenberg wrote:
> > So many of these features are becoming harder to get to and more
> > hidden,
>
> They do? I thought they were in the same places as ever...
        I'm not sure where they always were, but I can say as
someone just starting to use Rockbox that they weren't all obvious,
especially the multiple-button functions; I was just about to write
in asking how to lock the player when I saw Eric's (very very useful)
list. I may have missed something on the webpage, of course.

> > I think that there needs to be a UI cleanup before anything
> > else is added in.
>
> If you have suggestions and ideas, please share them.
        I think that things are mostly intuitive (except for the
multi-button functions), but there are a few places where they could
be made more sensible. I'd expect more consistent and distinct uses
for the play and right arrow buttons, for example--right arrow should
always be "advance one level deeper", while play should always be
"activate whatever is selected". Especially when dynamic recursive
playlists become a reality, this will almost definitely be how new
users will expect things to work--clicking play while a directory
is selected should queue up that directory's contents rather than
entering that directory.
        Another thing I'd like to see is better grouping among
the multi-button functions. Since F2 is the "playback" menu button,
maybe the F2+something combinations could all be (at least vaguely)
playback-related functions, like pitch control, mute, and maybe
keylock, while F3+something combinations could be display-related
functions, like ID3 tag display?

        -- Sweth.

--
Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
svc_at_idiopathic.net      http://www.idiopathic.net/