Subject: RE: Problems with 60GB Toshiba HD

RE: Problems with 60GB Toshiba HD

From: David Reis <dlr_at_cbord.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:35:01 -0500

Hard drives may be formatted with fat32 file systems under w2k
using the command line version of format.

Format
Formats the disk in the specified volume to accept Windows 2000 files. You
must be a member of the Administrators group to format a hard drive.

format volume [/fs:file-system] [/v:label] [/q] [/a:unitsize] [/f:size]
[/t:tracks /n:sectors] [/c] [/x] [/1] [/4] [/8]

Parameters

volume:

Specifies the mount point, volume name, or drive letter of the drive you
want to format. If you do not specify any of the following switches,
format
uses the volume type to determine the default format for the disk.

/fs:file-system

Specifies the file system to use, FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. Floppy disks can
use
only the FAT file system.

/v:label

Specifies the volume label. If you omit the /v switch, or use it without
specifying a volume label, Windows 2000 prompts you for the volume label
after the formatting is completed. Use the syntax /v: to prevent the
prompt
for a volume label. If you format more than one disk by using one format
command, all of the disks will be given the same volume label. The /v
switch
is not compatible with the /8 switch. For more information about disk
volume
labels, click Dir, Label, and Vol in the Related Topics list.

/a:unitsize

Specifies the allocation unit size to use on FAT, FAT32, or NTFS volumes.
Use one of the following values for unitsize. If unitsize is not
specified,
it will be chosen based on volume size.

512 Creates 512 bytes per cluster.
1024 Creates 1024 bytes per cluster.
2048 Creates 2048 bytes per cluster.
4096 Creates 4096 bytes per cluster.
8192 Creates 8192 bytes per cluster.
16K Creates 16 kilobytes per cluster.
32K Creates 32 kilobytes per cluster.
64K Creates 64 kilobytes per cluster.

/q

Deletes the file table and the root directory of a previously formatted
volume, but does not scan for bad areas. You should use the /q switch to
format only previously formatted volumes that you know are in good
condition.

/f:size

Specifies the size of the floppy disk to format. When possible, use this
switch instead of the /t and /n switches. Use one of the following values
for size:

160 or 160k or 160kb
160KB, single-sided, double-density, 5.25-inch disk

180 or 180k or 180kb
180KB, single-sided, double-density, 5.25-inch disk

320 or 320k or 320kb
320KB, double-sided, double-density, 5.25-inch disk

360 or 360k or 360kb
360KB, double-sided, double-density, 5.25-inch disk

720 or 720k or 720kb
720KB, double-sided, double-density, 3.5-inch disk

1200 or 1200k or 1200kb or 1.2 or 1.2m or 1.2mb
1.2-MB, double-sided, quadruple-density, 5.25-inch disk

1440 or 1440k or 1440kb or 1.44 or 1.44m or 1.44mb
1.44-MB, double-sided, quadruple-density, 3.5-inch disk

2880 or 2880k or 2880kb or 2.88 or 2.88m or 2.88mb
2.88-MB, double-sided, 3.5-inch disk

20.8 or 20.8m or 20.8mb
20.8-MB, 3.5-inch floptical (magneto-optical) disk

/t:tracks

Specifies the number of tracks on the disk. When possible, use the /f
switch
instead of this switch. If you use the /t switch, you must also use the /n
switch. These two switches provide an alternative method of specifying the
size of the disk being formatted. You cannot use the /f switch with the /t
switch.

/n:sectors

Specifies the number of sectors per track. When possible, use the /f
switch
instead of this switch. If you use the /n switch, you must also use the /t
switch. These two switches provide an alternative method of specifying the
size of the disk being formatted. You cannot use the /f switch with the /n
switch.

/c

Files created on the new volume will be compressed by default.

/x

Causes the volume to dismount, if necessary, before it is formatted. Any
open handles to the volume will no longer be valid.

/1

Formats a single side of a floppy disk.

/4

Formats a 5.25-inch, 360KB, double-sided, double-density floppy disk on a
1.2-MB disk drive. Some 360KB drives cannot reliably read disks formatted
with this switch. When used with the /1 switch, this switch formats a
5.25-inch, 180KB, single-sided floppy disk.

/8

Formats a 5.25-inch disk with 8 sectors per track. This switch formats a
floppy disk to be compatible with MS-DOS versions prior to 2.0.

Three cheers for command line ops.

Bubba